Reasons to Include Fish Oil in your Diet
The benefits of fish oil have been the topic of much research in recent years with the powerful Omega-3 fatty acids it contains. Here are just of the health benefits of this very potent oil.
- Fish oil is the best source of two long-chain essential fatty acids, eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA)–the Omega-3 fats our body cannot synthesize, so we must get them from food or supplements.Fish oils prevent and may help to reverse atherosclerosis, angina, heart attack, congestive heart failure, stroke and peripheral vascular disease.
- A high intake of fish has also been linked to a significant decrease in age-related memory loss and cognitive function impairment with a lower risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease.
- More unknown benefits of fish oils include improved circulation, ability in reducing serum triglycerides, and helping in normalizing heart rhythm.
Tips for buying fish oil capsules
- Know where your fish oil comes from; look for ‘species specific’ oil, like salmon or tuna on the label.
- Add up the individual omega-3 fatty acids listed on the label. They should equal the total amount of oil in the product.