All of us want luscious, shiny and gorgeous hair. Health meets a top expert who gives a real life hair makeover and talks about the upcoming year’s hottest hair trends and how to get your tresses in perfect condition…
THE FIRST STEP
To start any hair color or cut, Leila Jalili, Head Stylist at Sister’s Beauty Lounge’s new flagship salon at Dubai Mall explains a proper consultation is key. She recommends a client to come with unwashed hair as the natural oils in the hair work like a barrier when coloring. My own hair was a mess of dry and very damaged hair from a Keratin treatment gone wrong over the summer. With the damage evident, Leila opted to use ‘Inoa, ammonia-free color’ for the roots of my hair to avoid any further damage and apply highlights but in a Balayage style, hand painted deftly throughout the hair. Using shades 6.1 and 6.0, she mixed and applied these to my roots while the highlights color was mixed with a product called Olaplex, a lightening agent that’s safer and gentler for the hair. After about 35 minutes, Leila toned down the color using ash number 712. My hair was shampooed and treated to an Olaplex treatment which is a liquid like oil that goes straight into the bonds to nourish the hair. Phase 2 of this treatment is like a deep conditioner that ultimately seals the cuticle. After a quick trim of my fringe and blow-dry, I was good to go. My face looked brighter and my hair looked much less damaged as the ends were nourished and the more even color gave me a great new look.
Leila points out the importance of using the right products to get the exact look you are looking for. To hold the hair in place, a very good quality hairspray is a must. Also she recommends a very good leave-in conditioner for just out of the shower hair. Kerastase’s Forme Fatale is one product she says is used to blowdry, heat protect and restyle the hair and is a must-have. All hair requires a good quality hair masque normally to be used once a week for at least 20 minutes though Leila says some of her clients use it overnight with a shower cap and rinse it off in the morning with amazing results.
HAIR TRENDS FOR 2016
- According to Leila, warmer shades are going to be more popular now. These are shades of orange, ginger and even purple.
- Dubai clientele is more loyal to ash tones, especially Arab clientele.
- Beach waves at the bottom part of the hair or midway are very popular right now. The overall look is relaxed, soft and feminine.
- Cuts are still strong in long layers with movement, the lob is still going strong, as are fashionable side fringes.
- Party hair styles include the messier hair look. The half up and half down messy bun. More formal events take on a sleek and sophisticated slicked back hairstyle with bun look.