Our mouth is the gate to our body; if it’s clean it helps maintain the rest of the body in good health. Specialist in Prosthodontics Dr. Shaju Philip explains the best ways to keep your mouth in optimal condition.
- Always use a soft bristled tooth brush, with a small head for gentle cleansing. DO NOT brush too hard because this can cause gum bleeding and recession.
- Brush your gums and tongue along with your teeth.
- Brush your teeth for a maximum of two minutes twice a day using a pea sized amount of anticavity fluoride toothpaste.
- Hold the toothbrush at a 45 degree angle at the gum line and brush gently in a circular motion. Begin by brushing the outside of the back teeth, starting along the gum line, then the outside of the front teeth.
- Next, brush the inside of the back teeth, using short angled brush strokes, followed by the inside of the front teeth using an up- anddown motion, then brush the chewing surfaces using a gentle scrubbing motion. Finally, brush your tongue.
- Be sure to rinse your mouth after every meal. Regular rinsing with a good mouth wash helps to keep your mouth clean, fresh, and germ free.
- Fluoride rinses are good as they boost the strength of newly erupted teeth. Do not rinse your mouth with water after using mouth wash.
Flossing – Why It’s Important
- Flossing removes plaque from areas the toothbrush can’t reach.
- Flossing helps prevent periodontal disease/ gum disease by removing plaque. Gums do not hurt or bleed when you brush or floss.
- A new area of floss should be introduced into each gingival pocket. Use about 18 inches of floss, leaving an inch or two to work with. Gently follow the curves of your teeth and slide the floss up and down against each side of each tooth, forming a ‘C’ shape.
- Be sure to floss below the gum line, but avoid snapping the floss on the gum lines
The Link Between a Wholesome Diet and Your Mouth
- Avoid foods that are high in sugar. Carbonated drinks such as Cola are more acidic than non-carbonated drinks and are more dangerous.
- Foods such as potato chips tend to stick in the grooves and remain there for an extended period and therefore can cause decay.
- Avoid excessive intake of fruit juices (some are very acidic). Instead, they can be diluted with water.
Why visit a dentist?
If visited regularly, a dentist will detect and prevent any problem before it becomes hazardous for you. Keep smiling, it boosts your confidence and makes you look young.