Page 29 - Cover_Final-eng

Basic HTML Version

Dr. Prof. Irene Nirmala
Thomas, Clinical professor
and Specialist in the
Dermatology Department
I am a 47
year old male who has developed
blackish skin tags over my eyes
and cheek area suddenly. I don’t
drink or smoke; what could this
be and is there a treatment?
Dr. Thomas
“Blackish skin tag like
growths in the face and
neck are usually due
to a condition called
Dermatosis Papulosa
Nigrica . Though the
name sounds big it is a
rather benign condition
commonly seen in Asians and
Africans. There is no relation
to smoking or drinking . It is
usually familial and increases
in size and number with
age. It can be left alone but if
patients find it aesthetically
unacceptable it can be
easily removed by simple
electrodessication under a
topical anesthetic cream. It is
definitely not premalignant
and has an excellent prognosis.”
Dr. Prashanth
Hegde, Medical
Director and Chief of
Medical Staff, Assistant
Professor & Specialist
in the Obstetrics and
Gynecology Department
I have
a problem with recurring
Urinary tract Infections. What
is the correct treatment for
Dr. Hegde
“Urinary Tract Infections
or UTIs are treated with
antibiotics that can kill
the bacteria causing the
infection. Ensure that the
antibiotic treatment is
completed as per doctors’
advice. For most people, the infection
is cured all for once. But about one out
of every five young women who have
a UTI will have another one. Some
women have three or more UTIs a year.
Men are less likely than women to have
a first UTI. But once a man has a
UTI, he is likely to have another
because bacteria can hide deep
inside prostate tissue. If you
have repeat infections, your
health care provider may refer
you to a urologist. Talk with your
health care provider or urologist
about special treatment plans.
For example, you may need to
take antibiotics for a longer period of
time to help prevent repeat infections. In
addition to taking antibiotics, changing
some of your daily habits and lifestyle
choices may help you prevent repeat
Dr. Prof. Yassin
Malallah Tahir Al-Musawi,
Consultant and Professor
in the Surgery Department
“I have
developed fissures and have
been advised to have surgery.
Otherwise I am a healthy
45-year-old female. What
procedure in your opinion is best
for fissures?”
Dr. Prof. Shaikh Altaf
Basha, Professor & Specialist
in the Internal Medicine
I am a 49-year-
old male with slightly higher than
normal cholesterol. Is it preferred to
consult with an internist or a GP?
What exactly is an internist?
Dr. Al-Musawi
Standard Task Force
of the American
Society of Colon and
Rectal Surgeons has
recommended a surgical
procedure called
partial lateral internal
sphincterotomy as the technique
of choice for the treatment of anal
fissures. In this procedure, the
Dr. Basha
“You can either consult
a GP or an Internist.
Any of them will be
able to advise you about
the problem of high
cholesterol level in the
blood. An Internist is a
internal anal sphincter is
cut starting at its distal most
end at the anal verge and
extending into the anal canal
for a distance equal to that
of the fissure. The posterior
midline, where the fissure
usually is located, is avoided
for fear of accentuating the
posterior weakness of the
muscle surrounding the anal canal.
Following surgery, 93 percent to 97
percent of fissures heal.”
specialist or a consultant
in Internal Medicine,
which is a core specialty
that deals with diagnosis
and medical management
of wide range of illnesses
affecting various organs or
systems of the body.”
Oct/Nov 2014