The Must-Dos for Contact Lens Wearers at the Office to Maintain Optimal Eye Health
Offices in the UAE often have the air-conditioner on over-drive which can cause very dry eyes. Hours at our desk staring at computer screen can further stress our eyes leading to head-aches or worse yet, migraines for some. But there are some simple ways to protect your vision for longer and feel more comfortable, as follows.
1. Optimize your computer and desk settings:
▪ Keep 20-24 inches distance between your eyes and the computer screen. This will reduce the amount you have to strain your eyes.
▪ Check your posture as good posture helps to maintain optimal distance. A comfortable ergonomic chair is ideal, though a simple back support for your chair could also work.
▪ Adjust your computer’s position. It should be kept at eye level or below, so you don’t have to look up.
▪ Adjust your computer brightness so that the screen is no brighter or dimmer than your surroundings. Keeping a uniform brightness will reduce stress on your eyes.
2. Keep lubricant eye drops in your desk drawer
Refresh your eyes whenever you feel they are dry. Do this as often as you need to feel comfortable.
3. Fill up that water bottle and hydrate
Air-conditioners on full blast can cause havoc for contact lens wearers. Whilst chilling the room, air-conditioners reduce the level of moisture that is critical to replenish the natural tear supply of your eyes. Drinking water helps to maintain a healthy level of natural tears, whereas caffeine can cause dryness. A healthy diet and intake of fruit and leafy greens is also a good way to fight off dry eyes in the long run.
4. Rest your eyes
It is essential to get away from your screen regularly, even if it’s just for a short time. Many eye
care specialists recommend that you observe the 20-20-20 rule: Look away from your computer every 20 minutes to focus on something 20 feet away for 20 seconds. This will help your eyes to feel more natural and rested as they readjust to something that isn’t a screen.