Healthy Ramadan Recipes – Created by Nadia Parekh of Melange Dubai for the Beat Diabetes initiative’s Homey’s Guide to Healthy Recipes
(10 inch tart pan with removable base)
For the crust:
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- ½ cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 3 tablespoons hazelnuts
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Pinch of salt
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil (solid)
For the filling:
- 400ml coconut milk (approx. 1 can)
- 350g bittersweet chocolate (cocoa percentage of your choice), cut into small pieces
Honey to taste
- To finish:
- 2 cups fresh raspberries for garnish
1. To make the crust. In a food processor combine all ingredients and pulse until coarse crumbs form and the mixture holds together when pressed. Using your fingers, press the dough evenly onto the pan and up the sides.
2. Line the tart shell with a sheet of aluminium foil, with the edges hanging over the sides of the tart pan. Place ceramic pie weights onto the foil. Or rice, beans, quinoa etc. this is just to stop it from shrinking/bubbles forming on the base. Blind bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven, lift the foil and weights out of the pan. Continue baking the tart shell for 15 minutes, until golden brown in colour.
3. To make the chocolate ganache, heat the coconut milk until it boils, immediately remove from the heat and pour over the chocolate. Leave for 30 seconds and then stir to combine. Add honey to taste. Cool to room temperature and pour into the tart shell. Refrigerate until set.
4. Garnish with fresh raspberries and serve chilled.